Major Areas of Practice (For Individuals) line Inheritance
Whether a person dies with or without a will (or testament), certain procedures must be followed in order to prevent any future disputes among successors from arising, including holding a legacy division conference, conducting partition of the estate and registering the inheritance. In the event that the successors cannot all agree on how the inheritance should be divided, they will need to file a petition in the Family Court for family conciliation on partition of the estate or for a decision on partition of the estate. We are able to draft an agreement on partition of the estate as well as act as agent on behalf of a successor at the Family Court. If the amount of inherited debt exceeds the value of inherited property, a renunciation (waiver) of inheritance at the Family Court is permissible but only during the three month period following the date of inheritance. We offer legal advice on such renunciation of inheritance.
line Wills
Many people assume that a will (or testament) is a tool for wealthy families only. However, the inheritance of members of ordinary families often leads to a family quarrel among successors and it is therefore recommended that everyone makes a will. Making a will is indispensable should you wish to
(i) leave your estate to non-legal successors,
(ii) share your estate among successors in a different manner from their
statutory entitlement to the estate, or
(iii) leave business-related assets such as stocks and real estate to a
designated successor for business transfer.

We will draft a will which incorporates your intentions to the maximum extent permitted under Japanese law. We recommend making a will as a notary deed so that the original copy of the will is stored with the notary. However, we also offer advice on how to draft a holographic (i.e. handwritten) will to satisfy the requirements of Japanese law. We can also act as executor of a will as well as store the original copy of a holographic will in our office. Please note that these services will be charged separately from the drafting of the will.
line International Divorce and Custody
The number of persons marrying foreigners has increased dramatically in the past decade as the globalization of the economy has developed. Unfortunately, the rate of divorce among those in international marriages has also increased. The fact that family law varies greatly from country to country makes things more complicated when it comes to international divorce and child custody. For example, divorce by agreement which is legitimate under Japanese law is not necessarily legitimate in other countries; the family law of certain countries only permits divorce by judgment of court. We use our best efforts to provide our clients with the most appropriate solution considering the features of each case to achieve the best outcome for the client, with the assistance of foreign attorneys to be retained on an as needed basis.
line Road Traffic Accidents
In today's motor car society, anyone can be the victim or perpetrator of a car accident. Most people assume that as long as they or the perpetrator have car insurance, if they are involved in a car accident and suffer physical or mental damage, the insurance company will happily offer to compensate them in full for the damage. Unfortunately, that is not the case in the real world. In most cases, the amount which the insurance company proposes in settlement of the damage is much less than the amount which might be awarded by a court if a lawsuit were filed. Another little-known fact is that insurance companies use different criteria for their settlement proposals depending upon whether one negotiates with or without a Japanese qualified attorney. So if you receive a proposal from an insurance company for the settlement of damage which you suffer as the result of a car accident, we recommend you to contact us if (i) you are not satisfied with the proposed amount and/or (ii) you would like to know whether or not their proposed settlement amount is fair and appropriate.
line Bankruptcy
We offer advice to individuals when they have legal problems with their employers, such as non-payment of overtime, employment transfer, personnel relocation, dehiring, sudden layoff, sexual harassment and abuse of power in the workplace. We propose the most appropriate solution to obtain the best outcome for the client through negotiation outside court, labor tribunal decision or other means.
line Dispute regarding Leases of Real Property
We provide legal advice on problems regarding leases of houses or apartments, such as termination of the lease, surrender of the leased house or apartment, redemption of the security deposit (Shiki-kin) or guarantee deposit (Hosho-kin) and petition for rent increase or decrease.
line Bankruptcy
For most foreigners who are legitimate residents in Japan and have financial problems such as not being able to repay a loan from a Japanese non-bank lender on the repayment date, bankruptcy may not be the only option. If the money has been borrowed at a high interest rate, voluntary adjustment of debt, including filing a lawsuit against the Japanese non-bank lender to demand the return of overpaid amounts, may be an option to get rid of financial problems. For further information, please contact us via e-mail or telephone.
line Redemption of Deposit for Membership of Golf Courses
Legal issues regarding membership of golf courses and resort clubs are many and varied. We focus on reclaiming golf course membership deposits. If you are a member of a Japanese golf course, please consult us as to whether you are able to reclaim your membership deposit.
line Criminal Litigation
We act as private defense attorneys on a contract basis on behalf of foreigners who have been arrested or accused of a crime. Managing partner Mr. Minagawa is Japanese-English bilingual and capable of communicating in English with the person arrested or accused. If you or your family or friends would like to retain a Japanese-English bilingual private defense attorney, please contact us via e-mail or telephone.

Please do not hesitate to ask by a telephone and mail.

Weekday AM 9:00 - PM 6:00

If you can reserve,
Saturdays-and-Sundays congratulation and a national holiday also correspond at night.

Tel : 03-6450-3796


Major Areas of Practice (For Individuals) line Infomation